ADVERTISEMENT
The Moment Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
The Moment Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport

Shaibu: Obaseki had no money to run for office in 2016, he was a poor man

by Usman Kadri
August 17, 2024
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Shaibu: Obaseki had no money to run for office in 2016, he was a poor man
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedIn

Philip Shaibu, the reinstated deputy governor of Edo, says he was asked to be Godwin Obaseki’s running mate in 2016 to bring political value to the ticket.

Speaking on Friday when he featured on Channels Television’s ‘Politics Today’, Shaibu said Obaseki, the Edo governor, lacked both political experience and financial resources to contest the election.

Both politicians have been embroiled in a rift stemming from their conflicting views on the state’s gubernatorial contest.

RELATED STORIES

I left PDP for APC without prayers, I’ve now fasted 31 days –Ex-Adamawa Senator, Elisha Abbo

August 30, 2025
Dele Momodu: I can’t compete financially with Wike or Atiku

‘Hand of Wike’: Dele Momodu criticises PDP for zoning 2027 presidency to South

August 27, 2025

“We made Obaseki governor. Obaseki was not a politician, and Obaseki was not financially strong enough to contest the election. Oshiomhole brought him, and when Oshiomhole brought him, some of us argued that it could not be him,” Shaibu said.

“It took Oshiomhole three months to convince some of our supporters and me to support Obaseki. And when we decided because of Oshiomhole, because of our respect for him, to support him (Obaseki), he did not bring money. We brought our resources and our friends to bring money and we brought our political capital to make him governor.

“He is not the one that made me; I made him. I was asked to be his deputy to add political value because he was not a politician.”

The deputy governor said Obaseki has shown Nigerians that he is lawless.

He was reacting to the accusations of impersonation that had been levelled against him by the state government.

In a video posted on his X handle on August 12, Shaibu formally announced his resumption as deputy governor.

Shortly afterwards, the Edo government warned organisations to stop interacting with Shaibu.

Chris Nehikhare, commissioner for communication and orientation, said Shaibu was “impersonating” Omobayo Godwins as deputy governor of the state.

Nehikhare said the state government has filed an appeal against the order reinstating Shaibu.

The commissioner said every correspondence from Shaibu should be “disregarded and considered as forgery”.

Reacting to the development, Shaibu accused Obaseki of “disregarding a valid court judgment”.

“The holder of the office of the governor in Edo state today is lawless, Godwin Obaseki is lawless. If he is not lawless, he will not say Philip Shaibu is impersonating because there is a valid court judgment that he has been served,” he said.

“That is not the only court judgement he is not obeying.”

Shaibu said Asue Ighodalo, governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in Edo, has not been accepted by the people.

He alleged that the PDP candidate faces opposition from his own people due to his inability to communicate in their local dialect.

He said Ighodalo, handpicked by Obaseki, would be rejected by voters.

“I can tell you that the people don’t want Asue Ighodalo; even his own people in ‘Ewohimi’ don’t want him because he can’t speak their language,” he said.

Shaibu said Obaseki won the 2020 election out of sympathy, adding that the electorate perceived that the governor was being oppressed at the time.

Next Post
NNPC to jobseekers: We are not selling employment slots

NNPC to jobseekers: We are not selling employment slots

More Articles...

I left PDP for APC without prayers, I’ve now fasted 31 days –Ex-Adamawa Senator, Elisha Abbo

August 30, 2025
NYG 2025: Lagos football team beat Yobe, Bayelsa state respectively

NYG 2025: Lagos football team beat Yobe, Bayelsa state respectively

August 30, 2025
Sports Commission set to name next host of the NYG

Sports Commission set to name next host of the NYG

August 30, 2025
GTCO increases GTBank’s Paid-Up Capital to ₦504 billion

GTCO increases GTBank’s Paid-Up Capital to ₦504 billion

August 29, 2025
With giants campaign, FirstBank is truly woven into the fabric of society 

FirstBank’s N1 trillion digital loan disbursement milestone and the new era of inclusive lending in Nigeria

August 29, 2025
Chelle picks Ekong, Osimhen, 21 others in final 23

Chelle picks Ekong, Osimhen, 21 others in final 23

August 29, 2025

STANBIC IBTC ADVERT

About Us

Themomentng.com is an online community of reporters and social advocates dedicated to bringing you features, news reports by Africans, but from a global perspective.

Contact Us

+447771081433
+2348051966180(WhatsApp/SMS Only)
Email: themomentng@gmail.com

Categories

  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Featured
  • Food
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Metro
  • Motoring
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Society
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Top Story

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Copyright © Themomentng.com. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport