ADVERTISEMENT
The Moment Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
The Moment Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport

Seven things to know about Guinea-Bissau Coup

by Honesty Victor
November 27, 2025
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Seven things to know about Guinea-Bissau Coup
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedIn

 

Guinea-Bissau has been thrown into political turmoil after the military arrested President Umaro Sissoco Embaló and suspended the country’s electoral process. The dramatic takeover comes just days after a tense presidential election in which both the incumbent and the opposition candidate claimed victory.

As uncertainty deepens and institutions remain paralysed, here are 7 key things you need to know about the unfolding coup in Guinea-Bissau.

RELATED STORIES

Court Sentences Winners Chapel Pastor To Death

Court Sentences Winners Chapel Pastor To Death

February 20, 2026
ICPC raids Nasir El-Rufai’s residence

DSS to arraign el-Rufai Feb. 25 on alleged cybercrime, breach of national security

February 20, 2026

1. Military Takes Over Guinea-Bissau

On Wednesday, November 26, gunfire was heard near the country’s presidential palace as men in military uniform took over the main road leading to the building.

A few hours later, a group of military officers in the country claimed “total control” of the country, a day after the top candidates in a tightly contested presidential election both declared victory.

The announcement stated that all state institutions were suspended until further notice, citing the need to clarify the situation before returning to constitutional order.

According to AFP, the soldiers, drawn from the presidential guard and an elite gendarmerie unit, controlled the deserted area as calm returned and shooting ceased for the time being.

2. Brigadier General N’Canha announced the Coup

Brigadier General Denis N’Canha, the head of the military office of the presidency, was the top military officer who announced the coup at a press conference held at the General Staff of the Armed Forces.

However, it is not yet known who will be announced as the head of state.

3. President Arrested

With all state institutions suspended, it also means the government of President Umaro Sissoco Embaló has been overthrown.

Earlier in the day, Embalo told  Jeune Afrique that he was being arrested, explaining that men in uniform had stormed the presidential palace while he was in his office.

The Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces, General Biague Na Ntan, the Deputy Chief of Staff, General Mamadou Toure, and the Interior Minister, Botche Cande, were arrested at the same time.

He added that no violence had been committed against him during what he described as a “coup”, which he claimed was led by the army chief of staff.

4. Ongoing Election Suspended

Guinea-Bissau held its presidential and legislative elections on Sunday, but before the results could be released, the military stepped in and suspended the entire process.

The officers said they had suspended the electoral process, claiming it was necessary to clarify the situation before returning to constitutional order.

5. Election Victory Claims Possible Reason for Coup

The military intervention happened over a tense post-election atmosphere, as both President Umaro Sissoco Embaló and opposition candidate Fernando Dias had already declared themselves winners, even though official provisional results were only expected on Thursday.

Embaló’s campaign spokesperson, Oscar Barbosa, insisted the president had secured another term, saying, “There won’t be a second round… he will have a second mandate.”

On the other side, Dias also claimed victory, saying in a video shared on social media that “this election has been won… it has been won in the first round.”

These conflicting declarations bring back memories of the 2019 presidential election, when both leading candidates claimed victory, plunging the country into a four-month political crisis.

6. All Borders Closed

The military has also announced the closure of all land, air, and sea borders, and an overnight curfew “until further notice”.

Guinea-Bissau’s land borders are with Senegal to the north and Guinea to the east and south. It also has an Atlantic Ocean coastline to the west, which includes the Bijagós archipelago

7. History Of Instability

Guinea-Bissau has a long and troubled history with military takeovers. Since gaining independence from Portugal in 1974, the country has experienced four successful coups and several failed ones. In total, there have been nine coups or attempted coups since 1980.

President Embaló has often claimed that he has survived multiple attempts to overthrow him, but his critics argue that he exaggerates or even creates these crises to silence opposition voices.

With a population of about 2 million people, Guinea-Bissau remains one of the poorest countries in the world. Its ongoing instability has also made it a key transit point for drug trafficking between Latin America and Europe, a criminal trade that continues to flourish amid the political chaos.

Guinea-Bissau’s latest unrest adds to a growing list of military takeovers shaking West Africa. With Guinea-Bissau now joining Burkina Faso, Guinea, Mali, and Niger under military control, the region continues to struggle with instability, weakened democratic institutions, and rising insecurity.

As some of these countries cut ties with groups like the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the future of regional cooperation and stability remains uncertain.

Next Post
NECA secures landmark judgement against Nigeria Customs Service over additional tax

NECA champions 'Nigeria First' policy to boost local production and economic growth

More Articles...

Incidence at Periwinkle estate and Citizen Endurance Udeke

Olukoyede Tasks Fresh Students of Yakubu Gowon University on Anti-corruption Values

February 22, 2026
2027: Ganduje, Kano APC stakeholders endorse Tinubu

Gov. Yahaya pledges Gombe APC support for Tinubu’s 2027 re-election

February 22, 2026
IFAD grant boost rice, cassava value chains in Niger

IFAD grant boost rice, cassava value chains in Niger

February 22, 2026
Ramadan: Lawmaker distributes 52,000 bags of foodstuffs to indigents

Ramadan: Lawmaker distributes 52,000 bags of foodstuffs to indigents

February 22, 2026
Maikalangu wins AMAC chairmanship election

Maikalangu wins AMAC chairmanship election

February 22, 2026
Dangote Refinery delivers cleaner air, healthier lives with high quality fuel – MD

Dangote Refinery delivers cleaner air, healthier lives with high quality fuel – MD

February 21, 2026

STANBIC IBTC ADVERT

About Us

Themomentng.com is an online community of reporters and social advocates dedicated to bringing you features, news reports by Africans, but from a global perspective.

Contact Us

+447771081433
+2348051966180(WhatsApp/SMS Only)
Email: themomentng@gmail.com

Categories

  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Featured
  • Food
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Metro
  • Motoring
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Society
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Top Story

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Copyright © Themomentng.com. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport