The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has suspended its indefinite strike, 29 days after the action began on November 1, 2025.
The NARD National President, Dr Mohammad Suleiman, announced the suspension on Saturday, November 29.
The announcement was made after an extraordinary National Executive Council (NEC) meeting of the association.
Suleiman said the decision followed “a series of conciliatory meetings” with the federal government, noting that this culminated in the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) which outlined the status of the association’s 19-point demands.
Suleiman stated that among the outstanding issues was the payment of promotion arrears.
The NARD boss added that the compilation of the arrears by Chief Medical Directors and Managing Directors had not been completed, saying a four-week deadline had been set for the payment.
He said salary arrears were also expected to be cleared within four weeks in line with the agreement reached.
On the specialist allowance, Suleiman stated that the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (OHCSF) had already issued a clear directive.
He also said the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission was expected to take necessary steps toward its implementation.
Suleiman disclosed that the MoU further stated that resident doctors and the federal government were finalising processes for addressing failed or omitted payments relating to the 25/35 per cent review and accoutrement allowance.
“The countdown for the four weeks shall start on Monday and shall be a daily reminder to Nigerians and the Federal Government to adequately use this ‘four weeks window’ justly and fully,” he stated.
The November 1 strike, NARD’s latest in a series of industrial actions, was embarked on over unpaid arrears, stalled promotions, allowances, staffing gaps, and other welfare-related grievances.













