ADVERTISEMENT
The Moment Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
The Moment Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport

Mugabe’s son questioned after Johannesburg shooting

by Honesty Victor
February 20, 2026
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Mugabe’s son questioned after Johannesburg shooting

Bellarmine and his mother Grace pay their respects during a state funeral ceremony in Harare in September 2019, reflecting the sombre national mood following the death of Zimbabwe’s longtime former leader

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedIn

 

BELLARMINE Chatunga Mugabe, the youngest son of former Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe, has been detained for questioning following a shooting at a Johannesburg residence that left a man fighting for his life.

South Africa’s public broadcaster, SABC, reported on Thursday that Mugabe and another man were taken in for questioning after the incident occurred at a property identified as Mugabe’s home in an upscale suburb of the city.
The case has quickly attracted regional attention due to the Mugabe family’s political legacy and past controversies in South Africa, while police stress that investigations remain ongoing and no charges have yet been formally filed.

RELATED STORIES

Ghana clears $910m domestic debt interest

Ghana clears $910m domestic debt interest

February 20, 2026
EFCC arraigns Man, company for alleged N53m fraud in Lagos

EFCC arraigns Man, company for alleged N53m fraud in Lagos

February 20, 2026

According to SABC, Mugabe was seen in handcuffs in the driveway as police responded to the scene. Authorities have not officially named the individuals detained but confirmed that two men were being questioned in connection with an attempted murder investigation.

South African police said an employee working at the residence was shot during the incident and transported to hospital in critical condition.

Police spokesperson Colonel Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi said investigators were still working to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

‘The motive of the shooting is unknown at this stage and police investigations are underway,’ she said in an official statement.

Officials declined to provide further details about how the shooting unfolded, including whether an argument or other confrontation preceded the incident. Detectives and forensic teams remain engaged in collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses.

Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe is the son of Robert Mugabe and Grace Mugabe, Zimbabwe’s former first lady. Robert Mugabe governed Zimbabwe for 37 years before being removed from power in a military intervention in 2017. He died in Singapore in 2019 aged 95.

Members of the Mugabe family have previously drawn scrutiny during visits to South Africa. In 2017, Grace Mugabe faced allegations of assault after reportedly attacking a model at a luxury Johannesburg hotel in the presence of her sons, including Bellarmine.

At the time, she was granted diplomatic immunity by South African authorities, allowing her to leave the country despite initial legal proceedings.

The latest incident has renewed public attention on the family’s activities in South Africa, where prominent political figures and relatives of former leaders often maintain residences or business interests.

Police have urged caution against speculation as the investigation continues, emphasising that questioning individuals does not imply criminal responsibility.

Legal observers note that authorities are likely to rely on forensic analysis, ballistic testing and witness statements before determining whether charges will be pursued.

SABC reported that police presence remained visible near the property as inquiries continued on Thursday.

Neither Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe nor representatives of the Mugabe family have issued public statements regarding the incident.

The investigation remains active as authorities seek to establish the events leading up to the shooting and determine responsibility.

More Articles...

Mugabe’s son questioned after Johannesburg shooting

Mugabe’s son questioned after Johannesburg shooting

February 20, 2026
Ghana clears $910m domestic debt interest

Ghana clears $910m domestic debt interest

February 20, 2026
EFCC arraigns Man, company for alleged N53m fraud in Lagos

EFCC arraigns Man, company for alleged N53m fraud in Lagos

February 20, 2026
Olukoyede restates role of preventive frameworks in fight against corruption

Olukoyede restates role of preventive frameworks in fight against corruption

February 20, 2026
EFCC, ALGON collaborate on proof of address initiative

EFCC, ALGON collaborate on proof of address initiative

February 20, 2026
NDL unveils Seamans 20cl bottle

NDL unveils Seamans 20cl bottle

February 20, 2026

STANBIC IBTC ADVERT

About Us

Themomentng.com is an online community of reporters and social advocates dedicated to bringing you features, news reports by Africans, but from a global perspective.

Contact Us

+447771081433
+2348051966180(WhatsApp/SMS Only)
Email: themomentng@gmail.com

Categories

  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Featured
  • Food
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Metro
  • Motoring
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Society
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Top Story

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Copyright © Themomentng.com. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport