ADVERTISEMENT
The Moment Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
The Moment Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport

PDP faction slams candidate withdrawals in FCT elections

by Honesty Victor
February 20, 2026
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Court fixes October 31 for Judgment on PDP convention suit
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedIn

 

A faction of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has expressed “utter dismay” over the withdrawal of some of its chairmanship candidates from the forthcoming Abuja Local Council elections, calling the move “anti-democratic in every sense.”

The party also warned that it reflects a troubling trend in the party’s leadership.

RELATED STORIES

El-Rufai to spend second night in ICPC custody

El-Rufai to spend second night in ICPC custody

February 19, 2026
Tinubu appoints James Faleke as Renewed Hope Ambassador Deputy Secretary

Tinubu appoints James Faleke as Renewed Hope Ambassador Deputy Secretary

February 19, 2026

In a Friday statement on its social handles, the National Working Committee of the party said: “The National Working Committee of the Party @OfficialPDPNig has received with utter dismay the news of the withdrawal or stepping down of some Chairmanship Candidates of our Party from the forthcoming Abuja Local Council elections.”

Describing the development as a symptom of a broader problem, the party accused some leaders of fostering what it termed “voodoo democracy.”

It read, “As sad as this development is, it is a pointer to the type of voodoo democracy promoted by those parading as leaders of the PDP, whose only interest is to ‘hold’ the party for the President.”

The statement also warned that such actions could foreshadow attempts to manipulate presidential elections.

It continued, “This is exactly what they intended to do to Nigerians, when close to the Presidential elections, they can compel, induce or cajole all the other candidates to step down or withdraw for the President to have a smooth sail back to Aso Rock Villa, despite the abysmal performance of his administration.”

The PDP said it had previously acted against such behavior within the party: “It was for ignoble, reckless and shameless acts like these that we excommunicated them from our party, in order to rebuild a strong opposition party, prepared for a struggle to return to power by 2027.”

The statement concluded with instructions for voters: “Furthermore, voters should go to the polls prepared to protect their votes and ensure that Presiding Officers transmit Form EC8A immediately after announcing the result at the polling unit.”

The press release was signed by Comrade Ini Ememobong, MNIPR, National Publicity Secretary of the People’s Democratic Party.

PDP  chairmanship candidate for the Bwari Area Council election, Julius Adamu, on Wednesday withdrew from the race in favour of the All Progressives Congress candidate, Joshua Musa.

The stand-down, marked by a show of supporters and political heavyweights, took place on Wednesday in Bwari, where FCT Minister Nyesom Wike was present.

More Articles...

Court fixes October 31 for Judgment on PDP convention suit

PDP faction slams candidate withdrawals in FCT elections

February 20, 2026
Gov. Zulum approves N12.9bn aeronautics scholarship for 54 Borno students

Gov. Zulum approves N12.9bn aeronautics scholarship for 54 Borno students

February 20, 2026
Gov. Abiodun honours Nigeria’s best teacher with car gift

Gov. Abiodun honours Nigeria’s best teacher with car gift

February 20, 2026
AfDB-funded project boosts STEM in Abuja varsity

AfDB-funded project boosts STEM in Abuja varsity

February 20, 2026
IITA advocates reforms to boost yam production

IITA advocates reforms to boost yam production

February 20, 2026
NAFDAC seals 18 warehouses over expired food products in Niger

NAFDAC seals 18 warehouses over expired food products in Niger

February 20, 2026

STANBIC IBTC ADVERT

About Us

Themomentng.com is an online community of reporters and social advocates dedicated to bringing you features, news reports by Africans, but from a global perspective.

Contact Us

+447771081433
+2348051966180(WhatsApp/SMS Only)
Email: themomentng@gmail.com

Categories

  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Featured
  • Food
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Metro
  • Motoring
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Society
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Top Story

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Copyright © Themomentng.com. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport