Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the former Prince Andrew and younger brother of King Charles, was arrested on Thursday in the United Kingdom on suspicion of misconduct in public office, according to Thames Valley Police. The arrest coincided with his 66th birthday and stems from allegations linked to his association with convicted US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Police confirmed that a man in his sixties from Norfolk was taken into custody, while searches were conducted at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said the investigation had been opened following a thorough assessment of the allegations. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners,” Wright said, noting that updates would be provided at an appropriate time.
The probe is examining claims, including that Mountbatten-Windsor may have facilitated trafficking of a woman to the UK by Epstein and allegedly passed confidential government documents to the financier. These allegations emerged following the release of US government files detailing investigations into Epstein’s activities. The former prince has consistently denied any wrongdoing and has previously expressed regret for his friendship with Epstein.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer emphasised the principle that “nobody is above the law,” underscoring that legal accountability applies equally to public figures. Buckingham Palace has not yet issued a statement regarding the arrest.
The operation involved six unmarked police cars and several plain-clothed officers arriving at Wood Farm, Sandringham, in Norfolk. The arrest marks a significant legal and public relations challenge for the British royal family, raising questions about oversight, accountability, and the enduring scrutiny of Mountbatten-Windsor’s past associations with Epstein.
The development is expected to intensify public and political debate on accountability at the highest levels of public life in the UK.












