New Zealand captain Chris Wood says he is fully fit for the World Cup and his long injury battle has made him hungrier for success as the All Whites look to reach the knockout phase for the first time.
After undergoing surgery on his left knee in December, the 34-year-old striker returned to action for Nottingham Forest last month before being included in New Zealand coach Darren Bazeley’s squad for the June 11 to July 19 finals in North America.
New Zealand’s record scorer with 45 goals in 88 appearances, Wood said he had moved past the recovery phase with his knee and was looking forward to locking horns with Iran, Egypt and Belgium at the World Cup.
“I’m fully back to full fitness. I’ve been playing games now for over a month-and-a-half, so I feel good, feel up to speed, which is nice, and ready to continue to attack the off-season,” he told reporters in a video call on Friday.
“I’m just happy to be back firing both for Forest and for the national team coming into this World Cup period.
“And it’s just given me that hunger to strive and achieve more, definitely.”







