ADVERTISEMENT
The Moment Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
The Moment Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport

ICPC confirms arrest of NAHCON officials over FG’s N90bn billion hajj subsidy

by Usman Kadri
August 10, 2024
Reading Time: 2 mins read
ICPC confirms arrest of NAHCON officials over FG’s N90bn billion hajj subsidy
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedIn

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has confirmed an ongoing investigation of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) over the N90 billion hajj subsidy.

Demola Bakare, ICPC spokesperson, told TheCable that some NAHCON officials were arrested by the commission on Wednesday for “refusing to honour an invitation” by the anti-graft agency.

Bakare refuted reports that NAHCON’s office was shut down by the ICPC, emphasising that the commission operates within legal boundaries.

RELATED STORIES

Tinubu urges ECOWAS to declare resource theft, illegal mining international crime

PDP orders withdrawal of 32-member ambassadorial list by Tinubu

November 30, 2025
INEC receives PDP’s notice of suspension of Anyanwu, others

PDP berates President Tinubu’s 32-member ambassadorial list

November 30, 2025

He declined to name the arrested officials but noting that they were assisting the commission with useful information.

“We are investigating officials of the National Hajj Commission because they either failed or refused to honour the invitation. We therefore paid them a friendly visit,” he said.

“We didn’t shut down the commission as reported by some journalists. ICPC operates within the confines of the law.

“Officials arrested, which I can’t name, were released on bail and would henceforth be helping the investigation process until concluded.”

Fatimah Usara, NAHCON’s spokesperson, said it was not unusual for officials to be queried after hajj operations.

“Some of the commission’s relevant staff had been making presentations to the ICPC when demanded,” she said.

“And this is a thing that the commission considers normal because it happens after every hajj until any doubt is cleared. It’s nothing new.

“The Head of Procurement had an invitation which he didn’t honour so two days ago, on Wednesday precisely, the ICPC sent the relevant officers to him, him alone.

“In fact, NAHCON accommodated them to wait for him to report to work, which they did. And when he came, they left together. No one entered any office at all. They waited outside.”

In July, Jalal Arabi, NAHCON’s chairman, said the N90 billion fund approved by President Bola Tinubu for 2024 hajj was used to subsidise pilgrim’s fare.

In the same month, the chairman was invited by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over investigations into the approved fund.

Next Post
South African billionaire overtakes Aliko Dangote as Africa’s richest person

Dangote Group receives $105.33m from CBN’s Dutch auction

More Articles...

Sergio Ramos hints at being part of Spain’s 2026 World Cup squad

Sergio Ramos hints at being part of Spain’s 2026 World Cup squad

November 30, 2025
2 men in Court for allegedly stealing 10 tubers of yam

N200b Agric credit dispute: Appeal court slams NAIC, upholds First Bank victory

November 30, 2025
Nigerian equities investors lose N6.5 trillion in November 2025

Nigerian equities investors lose N6.5 trillion in November 2025

November 30, 2025
8 Nigerian music video directors with over 100 million YouTube views

8 Nigerian music video directors with over 100 million YouTube views

November 30, 2025
Ecobank Nigeria launches tender offer for outstanding 2026 Eurobond

Ecobank Nigeria launches tender offer for outstanding 2026 Eurobond

November 30, 2025
Top 10 EU countries that do not allow dual citizenship

Top 10 EU countries that do not allow dual citizenship

November 30, 2025

STANBIC IBTC ADVERT

About Us

Themomentng.com is an online community of reporters and social advocates dedicated to bringing you features, news reports by Africans, but from a global perspective.

Contact Us

+447771081433
+2348051966180(WhatsApp/SMS Only)
Email: themomentng@gmail.com

Categories

  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Featured
  • Food
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Metro
  • Motoring
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Society
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Top Story

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Copyright © Themomentng.com. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport