ADVERTISEMENT
The Moment Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
The Moment Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport

Coup: Guinea-Bissau eases curfew, reopens borders

by Honesty Victor
November 28, 2025
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Coup: Guinea-Bissau eases curfew, reopens borders
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedIn

Life limped back to normal on Friday in the capital of volatile Guinea-Bissau after the West African nation’s fifth coup that came on the heels of presidential and parliamentary polls.

The military appointed General Horta N’Tam, the army’s chief of staff, as the country’s new leader for a transition period of one year after Wednesday’s putsch.

The takeover came just one day before authorities were due to announce the provisional results of the November 23 polls.

RELATED STORIES

Venezuela’s airspace now “closed in its entirety” – Trump

Venezuela’s airspace now “closed in its entirety” – Trump

November 30, 2025
Jonathan, other African leaders stranded in Guinea-Bissau after military coup

Jonathan, other African leaders stranded in Guinea-Bissau after military coup

November 27, 2025

There were vehicles and taxis along the main road from the port of the seaside capital, Bissau, to the presidential palace, as well as pedestrians, AFP journalists said.

Security was eased in parts of the capital, but remained in place at key locations.

Traders and shoppers were back at the city’s main markets, while shops, restaurants, and small grocery outlets had also reopened.

“I resumed my work because if I stay home, I will have nothing to eat,” said Boubacar Embalo, a 25-year-old street vendor.

“But things aren’t going too well for the moment. I have made rounds of the city since morning but have not managed to sell anything,” he added.

Surrounding areas of Bissau were more deserted, with few people at the reopened markets, AFP journalists said.

Sandwiched between Senegal and Guinea, Guinea-Bissau had already undergone four coups and a host of attempted takeovers since its independence from Portugal in 1974.

Crippling poverty and chaotic administration have made the country a fertile ground for Latin American drug lords smuggling cocaine to Europe.

Land, air, and sea borders — all sealed off on Wednesday — have reportedly been reopened.

A nationwide curfew was lifted, and the new authorities ordered the immediate reopening of markets, schools, and private institutions.

Guinea-Bissau’s President Umaro Sissoco Embalo left the country for Senegal after the coup.

Opposition candidate Fernando Dias da Costa told AFP he believed he had won Sunday’s election.

He alleged that Embalo, who has also claimed victory, had “organised” the power grab to prevent him from taking office.

Guinea-Bissau’s last presidential election in November 2019 was followed by a political crisis, with two rivals claiming to be the head of state.

That only ended in April 2020 when the West African regional bloc, ECOWAS, recognised Embalo as the winner.

Next Post
Labour Party advices Atiku to step down for Peter Obi ahead of 2027 Presidential Election

Labour Party appoints new vice chairman

More Articles...

Tinubu urges ECOWAS to declare resource theft, illegal mining international crime

PDP orders withdrawal of 32-member ambassadorial list by Tinubu

November 30, 2025
INEC receives PDP’s notice of suspension of Anyanwu, others

PDP berates President Tinubu’s 32-member ambassadorial list

November 30, 2025
BREAKING: ASUU declares two-week warning strike

Planned Strike: ASUU NEC meets in Abuja, to decide on next move

November 30, 2025
‘Peter Obi will contest 2027 Presidential Election’ – Obidient Movement

‘Peter Obi will contest 2027 Presidential Election’ – Obidient Movement

November 30, 2025
Resident doctors suspend nationwide strike, issue fresh four-week ultimatum

Resident doctors suspend nationwide strike, issue fresh four-week ultimatum

November 30, 2025
Venezuela’s airspace now “closed in its entirety” – Trump

Venezuela’s airspace now “closed in its entirety” – Trump

November 30, 2025

STANBIC IBTC ADVERT

About Us

Themomentng.com is an online community of reporters and social advocates dedicated to bringing you features, news reports by Africans, but from a global perspective.

Contact Us

+447771081433
+2348051966180(WhatsApp/SMS Only)
Email: themomentng@gmail.com

Categories

  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Featured
  • Food
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Metro
  • Motoring
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Society
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Top Story

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Copyright © Themomentng.com. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport