The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has appointed Major-General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff.
His appointment came barely six days after the former Chief of Army Staff, Attahiru Ibrahim, and 10 officers lost their lives in a plane crash in Abuja.
Here are five things to know about the new Chief of Army Staff:
1. Major Gen. Farouk Yahaya is an indigene of Zamfara State.
2. The new COAS was the former General Officer Commanding 1 Division of the Nigerian Army.
3. The new COAS was also a Commander of 4 Brigade Headquarters of the Nigerian Army.
4. Yahaya is of Regular course 37 of the Nigerian Defense Academy.
5. Until his recent appointment, Yahaya was the incumbent Theatre Commander of the Counter terrorism military outfit in the North East code-named ‘Operation Hadin Kai’