ADVERTISEMENT
The Moment Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
The Moment Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport

Sanwo-Olu storms Magodo as police forcefully evict residents

by Usman Kadri
January 4, 2022
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Sanwo-Olu storms Magodo as police forcefully evict residents
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedIn

The Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has visited the scene of the protest staged by Magodo residents over the planned invasion and demolition of their properties.

This is coming as police officers have begun to evict residents and forcefully take possession of houses in Phase 2, Magodo Estate, Lagos,

Officers deployed by Usman Baba-Alkali, the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), on Tuesday, locked some marked houses and forced out residents.

RELATED STORIES

NUJ condemns harassment, arrest of Journalist, Azuka Ogujiuba

NUJ condemns harassment, arrest of Journalist, Azuka Ogujiuba

August 29, 2025
BREAKING: FG increases Passport fees amid hardship in Nigeria

FG increases passport fees to N100,000, N200,000

August 28, 2025

The officers, according to residents, marked their houses and used padlocks to lock their gates in a bid to prevent access.

During the invasion, the group used red, brown and blue inks to inscribe ‘ID/795/88 Possession Taken Today 21/12/21 by Court Order,’ on various properties on the estate.

It was learnt that it took the intervention of the Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu before the gates were reopened as the Inspector-General of Police, Baba Usman, promised to withdraw the policemen.

Speaking with our correspondent, the Chairman of the estate, Bajo Osinubi, said the policemen had remained in the estate despite Sanwo-Olu’s intervention, adding that residents had been living in fear as the policemen move around with their weapons.

He added: “More than 50 armed policemen are still around and they are restless and didn’t go for Christmas and New Year. In the morning and evening, they carry their guns around and you can imagine what will happen if there is a disagreement between the group and residents and somebody was shot, what will be the reaction of the IGP.”

This action was done to implement a Supreme Court ruling which found the Lagos State Government guilty of illegally possessing Shangisha Landlords Association’s 549 plots of land which form part of the estate.

However, the Lagos State Government had described the invasion as unwarranted and vowed to prosecute those involved in the invasion.

Also, the Legal Adviser, Magodo Residents Association, Tunji Abdulhameed, while countering the judgment claim influencing the actions of the invaders, said there was no specification to the area, property, location of the plots of land in the judgment they got in 1993.

He added: “But for you to execute even when you get a judgment, you must still apply for a writ of possession and without it, you cannot enforce the judgment. So, when they applied for the writ of possession and it was approved, we challenged it and that was the time the residents association joined the case as we were not part of the case before they got the judgment.

“The essence of the closure of the gate was to create awareness to the public and to draw the attention of the government as to what is happening in Magodo so that we can get protection from them.”

Next Post
Save our souls from bandit sponsors, land grabbers in police uniform -Oreki villagers to IGP

Save our souls from bandit sponsors, land grabbers in police uniform -Oreki villagers to IGP

More Articles...

GTCO increases GTBank’s Paid-Up Capital to ₦504 billion

GTCO increases GTBank’s Paid-Up Capital to ₦504 billion

August 29, 2025
With giants campaign, FirstBank is truly woven into the fabric of society 

FirstBank’s N1 trillion digital loan disbursement milestone and the new era of inclusive lending in Nigeria

August 29, 2025
Chelle picks Ekong, Osimhen, 21 others in final 23

Chelle picks Ekong, Osimhen, 21 others in final 23

August 29, 2025
NUJ condemns harassment, arrest of Journalist, Azuka Ogujiuba

NUJ condemns harassment, arrest of Journalist, Azuka Ogujiuba

August 29, 2025
9th National Youth Games 2025: Football teams confirmed

9th National Youth Games 2025: Football teams confirmed

August 29, 2025
Glo celebrates 22 years of innovation, service, empowerment

Glo celebrates 22 years of innovation, service, empowerment

August 29, 2025

STANBIC IBTC ADVERT

About Us

Themomentng.com is an online community of reporters and social advocates dedicated to bringing you features, news reports by Africans, but from a global perspective.

Contact Us

+447771081433
+2348051966180(WhatsApp/SMS Only)
Email: themomentng@gmail.com

Categories

  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Featured
  • Food
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Metro
  • Motoring
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Society
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Top Story

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Copyright © Themomentng.com. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport