A member of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Hon. Khairat Animashaun-Ajiboye, has declared her intention to run for the Lagos governorship election come 2023.
Animashaun-Ajiboye, the convener of Khairat Animashaun Initiative (KAI), speaking on Thursday in Lagos, said she decided to run for the office of the Lagos governor after careful and several consultations with party stakeholders.
According to her, we must dare to be conventional, there must be real change and the people must see and feel those changes not just making promises that are not realistic. I want to correct a lot of abnormalities in the state.
“It is instructive for the electorates in Lagos State to have Lagos of their dreams and the masses to live and run the affair in the state with an all-inclusive government to make the state politically stable and united with all the residents benefitting genuinely from a true government committed to a better Lagos State for all.
“I’m a self-driven individual with the tenacity, discipline, network, humility and good appreciating heart to drive the seat of power in Lagos by becoming your next executive governor, God willing. I crave your indulgence to promote our dear Lagos so we can entrench fairness and goodwill by supporting my intention to run for the exalted office of Lagos State governor under the All Progressives Congress (APC) political party,” she stated.
On her motivation, Animashaun-Ajiboye revealed that beyond changing the status quo of selection in Lagos State, her vision is to create a more sustainable social-political, economic, cultural and physical environment for all.
“The mission is for every Lagosian, regardless of colour or breed, to join hands with me to promote Lagos into more functional state without any gender barrier, with flexibility and thoroughness.
“As a true campaigner of good and responsible leadership, who believes in pragmatism of leadership, it is my hope that you technocrats and other Lagosians will heed my clarion call more for a Lagos that works,” she exclaimed.
The social activist then listed things she intends to correct if voted into power, which included cancellation of Lekki Toll Gate and waterways capitalisation.
“If given the rare privilege and opportunity, I wish to correct many things in this great state such as cancel the Lekki toll gate and move toll gates to other strategic parts of Lagos state especially the border lines to help ease of movement, increase the subvention for the universities to help with improved capacities and elevate education quality, augment the Lagos State LASRA card’s benefits, stop the consistent bullying of our women and youths, create youth engagement programmes and capitalise on our water ways.
“Others include re-enact zero tolerance for dirty environment, utilization of technology to attract goodwill and free education for our primary school children,” she said.
According to her, Lagos State can’t continue with I don’t care administration while appealing to the electorates to be ready as they are the real decision makers.
“I just pray and want you our dear electorates to get ready when the campaign starts in full force to be the real decision makers by supporting me, your servant leader that is ready to serve the masses and the good residents of Lagos State,” she stated.
Her statement read in part:
“My Vision is to create a more sustainable social-political, economic, cultural and physical environment for all. The mission is for every LAGOSIAN, regardless of your color or breed, to accept this noble LAGOSIAN, to promote LAGOS into a more functional state without any gender barrier, with flexibility, and thoroughness.
“As a true campaigner of good and responsible leadership, who believes in pragmatism of leadership, it is my hope that you the technocrats, the marketers, the corporate society, the students, the socialites, the youths, the women and men will heed my clarion call more for a Lagos that works for ALL because “Correcting what is around us will largely correct other wrongs about our larger environment! A change in mindset from us all can make that difference we seek.
“If given this rare privilege and opportunity to lead, I wish to correct many things in this great state, such as:
- Cancel the Lekki toll gate, Move toll gates to other strategic parts of Lagos State especially the border lines of our state to help the ease of movement for all and sundry and reduce the transferred burden on the ordinary Lagos traders, workers and students.
- Increase subvention for the universities to help with improved capacities, professionalism and elevate the quality of education. No More ASUU Problem in Lagos State (considering my Lagos State University -LASU- student leadership experience, where I met Governors Otedola of blessed memory, Governor Oyinlola and the Governor Marwa). Staying longer in school more than necessary can derail the goal of national development. Proper, welfare, monitoring and fair evaluation of our lecturers should help of achieve this goal for the fact that I had the rare priviliedge to have met 3 past governors of Lagos State due to the same Old story of ASUU strike LASUSUG experience);
- Augment the Lagos State LASRA Card’s benefits, where we ensure that those benefits are implemented should come with benefits and such benefits should be implemented. In some international communities for example, having been a resident of a state gives you the privilege of less tuition and much more to have benefits and it should be implemented;
- STOP the consistent bullying, maiming, and killing of our women and youths. I will lead the campaign on our streets to explain the importance of promoting confident residents, tweaking the cultural decadence we are experiencing especially one that sees the woman as an object and not as a person created by God. We will promote arm our departments dealing with domestic violence against women.
- Create youth engagement and empowerment programmes; Provision of Social Servies and systemic partnership with the international communities and the business communities alike. We will provide hope to our teaming communities members while we expect each one of us to take collective responsibilities for a more sustainable economy, sustainable environment, and more secured alleys.
- Capitalize on our water ways, for proper utilization and movement of freight and human.
- Re-enact zero tolerance for dirty environment, clogged drainages, and flagrant display of indisciplined acts.
- Utilize technology to attract goodwill and then improve upon community-based security to curb insecurities which may have stemmed from the nagging impoverishment of our people. It is on record that Lagos State invests billions in Lagos Security Trust Fund, as we seek a more engaging provision of service to our people. Utilize Technology to attract new jobs for our teaming youths.
- Free Education for our primary school children is attainable. I was one of those who received free books during my public-school days during the era of Governor Jakande of blessed memories. We can curate healthy collaboration across the private and public sectors to make this happen despite our souring debt profile.
- Educating members of our communities is a job for all! Fair wages and better standards of living will enhance the continuous education we pass on to our motorists, drivers, teachers, students, parents and the children.The new beginning starts now. It is not just about blowing my own trumpet but even the political space watchers can testify that women are as good as men in politics. I am a public- spirited woman of goodwill who is inspired in my belief, my experience and in the high purpose of my creator. This is not for my personal profits but to champion the common good for the masses, electorates, and our people of status in Lagos State.
“The clarion call for a new beginning is the advancement of the common goods towards commitment to a better and united Lagos State, justice, fairness, equity, open structure and the development of Lagos State at large. And, an ideal transformation leadership, particularly in a multi-faceted and multi-ethnic state like Lagos is surely needed across all levels of government and spheres of society, as the primary focus in the pursuit of the common good is to ensure that we do not only unite the people but that they are governed by the right Governor.
“Spread this news with the Words of Mouth (WOM), supporting and letting the general populace in Lagos know about me, Khairat Animashaun-Ajiboye, and my desire is simply to serve you. If we get into power in Lagos State, I assure you all of supporting the building of credible institution of justice where the rule of law and orderly society would be crucial expressions of the pursuit of the common good for the masses like never seen before in our dear Lagos State. Don’t be deceived.
“I am positioned for transformation leadership because it is critical to our state of life and it will spit and spell positive changes across all sectors and sphere of our society in Lagos State. With all modesty, I am set to operate by serving and uplifting the masses because I am bent on the principle of “servant leadership” for the anticipated new beginning. It is not as easy as it sounds but it’s my desire to do the right things and make Lagos State better than ever.
“I cannot finish this parley without mentioning Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, another former Governor of our dear State, and his successes so far. I acknowledge that it was Asiwaju who started the revolution of diversifying the Internal Revenue Generation that has made Lagos the darling of Nigeria, it was Asiwaju that worked hard to improve the Internal Security of Lagos, Asiwaju also Reformed the Judiciary, as well as identifying and grooming leaders. He also made reputable individuals who would never have thought that they could become affluent within a short time. He identifies the truth when he sees it too.
“These are some of the many good things about Asiwaju Bola Ahmaed Tinubu. Though I know that no human is perfect as I know that the people around you can sometimes make you what you are not; I however also know that Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu needs to improve in other areas! One is to empower me by ensuring that I become the next governor of Lagos and also to empower other good women who will work with women and who will do the right thing no matter what.
“Women who are flexible and who are not afraid to lay the cards on the table, women who are not rude and who enjoy balancing work and family, afterall your excellency, the purpose of power is service. I will retain the other part of my advice later. The legacy Asiwaju has created resides within some individuals, we can move ahead by multiplying these and making Lagos and her residents great again! Uplifting and empowering multitudes will make the difference at this junction of our socio-political growth, with due respect, your excellency.
“For your information Lagosians, I have been walking the talk and consulting with different electorates, ethnic groups and key decision makers in Lagos State with a positive view of getting their blessings to be the reputable governorship candidate in the next election in 2023.
“Lagos electorates, we need to change the narrative by coming together to build and retain formidable foot soldiers and polling booth lieutenants in the forthcoming election in Lagos State.
“It is very instructive for the electorates in Lagos State to have Lagos of their dreams and the masses to live and run the affair in the state with an all-inclusive government to make the state politically stable and united with all the residents benefitting genuinely from a true government committed to a better Lagos State for all.
“Lagos State can’t continue with I don’t care administration and government in the driving seat. I just pray and want you our dear electorates to get ready when the campaign starts in full force to be the real decision makers by supporting me, your servant leader that is ready to serve the masses and the good residents and Lagosians in the state.
“I have to be honest with you, any emotional impact or tension you may feel while listening to this my welcome address is totally welcomed, and some of you in the audience may feel momentary unease at the boldness by a young woman like me coming to take the driving wheel in Lagos State, I can only tell you to be rest assured that it is all for the good reasons that I come with an open mind and open hands to further learn of the challenges that bedevils us as a people and that we will all benefit from it working together.
“Before I go, I have something to share with you; I told my mother about my plans to be the next governor of Lagos State and she said to me, you have always been like this my daughter since you were a child, your teachers always wanted to take you away from me because of the love they had for your brilliance, you have a kind heart and will help the people.
“I pray that All mothers of the world come out to support you and that God grants you longer life in good health. My father said to me to trust God and my husband Deji said to me, “you have my 110% support”. My friends and colleagues said that Khairat you have been consistent with this attitude of wanting to do right and helping people along your way! If the girl child and the woman are well cared for, our communities will be better for it! Widows, the young pregnant woman, the working-class woman, the everyday woman who strives hard to make ends meet as well as our brothers and husbands, I humbly ask for your mighty pens and undoubted moral, financial, spiritual and ideological support for a good cause the Lagosians deserve through me – Khairat Animashaun-Ajiboye.