ADVERTISEMENT
The Moment Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
The Moment Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport

Senate seeks exemption from police withdrawal

by Honesty Victor
December 10, 2025
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Senate approves Tinubu’s N1.15trn domestic borrowing request
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedIn

 

The Senate on Wednesday sought for an exemption from the order by President Bola Tinubu for the withdrawal of police personnel attached to ‘Very Important Persons’ (VIPs) nationwide.

The upper chamber’s request was sequel to a Point of Order on Privilege raised by Sen. Abdul Ningi (PDP-Bauchi) during plenary.

RELATED STORIES

N5bn Scandal Rocks UBA as firm alleges secret ‘ghost’ account, forged mandates

Court slams UBA Plc with damages for indefinite suspension of employee

February 22, 2026
Tinubu, the budget, and democracy dividends, By Taiwo Adisa

Tinubu, the budget, and democracy dividends, By Taiwo Adisa

February 22, 2026

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalled that the president had, on Nov. 23, ordered the withdrawal of police personnel attached to VIPs nationwide.

He also directed that the officers be redeployed to strengthen core policing duties across communities.
‎
In his point of order, Ningi complained about the withdrawal of his only police orderly, while many political office holders in the country were still enjoying police cover.

He demanded that it should be done across board in the spirit of fairness and equity.

Ningi said: “Mr President, I’ve been around this National Assembly since 1999. Right from 1999, I was having one police orderly.

“I have never questioned any additional security personnel. I woke up today and I was told my police orderly and other police orderlies had been withdrawn.

“Mr President, I don’t have any problem with that. My problem is that this thing should go across the board.

“Let’s see what happens from the Office of the President, to the Vice-President, to the Senate President, to the Speaker of the House, to the Ministers.

“After they had withdrawn my orderly, I saw two convoys of ministers and they were carrying lots of security personnel.

“I have also seen daughters and sons of political office holders having orderlies and having security covers. Mr President, I have seen singers having orderlies.

“I cannot ever imagine that a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria who has been here for a very long time having only one orderly and he was withdrawn.”

“This is unheard of in any democracy. And that’s why I said this is a matter that insults me; it concerns me; it is not right and it should be taken with all the seriousness it deserves,” he said.

The senator urged the Senate President to ask the Chairman of the Committee on Police to please investigate why other people were having security covers in spite of the presidential order.

“You cannot just put the national assembly as scapegoats while others enjoy the privileges of security control,” he said.

In his remarks, Deputy Senate President, Jibrin Barau, who presided over plenary, said that the leadership of the senate had a meeting on the issue.

“Yesterday, I’m sure you saw us, we had a leadership meeting. This was discussed and we took an action and we expect the outcome of that action to be available to us today.

“It is of concern to us and I will raise the issue. And we’re dealing with that. We will be at the top of the situation,” Barau said.

He assured that the issue raised would be taken seriously, stressing: “I’m sure we have a president who listens to us and, by the grace of God, he will exempt us from that order.

“We all stand by Mr President in his effort to deal with the security problem in our country.

“The president is doing very well and we always commend him because we know what he’s doing,” he said.

Next Post
Seplat Energy trains journalists with contemporary media skills

Seplat Energy trains journalists with contemporary media skills

More Articles...

Africa wallets power prepaid payments surge

Africa wallets power prepaid payments surge

February 22, 2026
Somaliland: Where Muslims embrace Israel

Somaliland: Where Muslims embrace Israel

February 22, 2026
N5bn Scandal Rocks UBA as firm alleges secret ‘ghost’ account, forged mandates

Court slams UBA Plc with damages for indefinite suspension of employee

February 22, 2026
Sports Betting: Lagos govt to deduct 5% levy from every winning, NIN required for payouts

Sports Betting: Lagos govt to deduct 5% levy from every winning, NIN required for payouts

February 22, 2026
Top 3 African fintech founders on Forbes 50 list

Top 3 African fintech founders on Forbes 50 list

February 22, 2026
Renowned Paediatrician and Healthcare Leader, Dr. Bello Suleiman, is dead

Renowned Paediatrician and Healthcare Leader, Dr. Bello Suleiman, is dead

February 22, 2026

STANBIC IBTC ADVERT

About Us

Themomentng.com is an online community of reporters and social advocates dedicated to bringing you features, news reports by Africans, but from a global perspective.

Contact Us

+447771081433
+2348051966180(WhatsApp/SMS Only)
Email: themomentng@gmail.com

Categories

  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Featured
  • Food
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Metro
  • Motoring
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Society
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Top Story

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Copyright © Themomentng.com. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport