The Moment Nigeria
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport
No Result
View All Result
The Moment Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport

Wike uncovers structure on revoked drainage land amid Abuja flood crisis

by Honesty Victor
August 18, 2026
Reading Time: 2 mins read
PDP crisis: Wike’s Faction meets today, mulls caretaker committee
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedIn

Federal Capital Territory Minister Nyesom Wike has discovered a structure erected on a drainage area in Maitama, Abuja, despite the revocation of the plot more than a decade ago.

Wike made the discovery on Tuesday while inspecting locations affected by the weekend flooding that followed heavy rainfall across parts of the Federal Capital Territory.

The minister, accompanied by officials of the FCT Administration, visited the affected areas to assess the extent of the flooding and examine possible factors responsible for the accumulation of water in parts of the capital.

RELATED STORIES

“Gen Zs disrespect elders because they have seen their nakedness” — Canada-based doctor, Zo, reacts to trending video involving lady and Tony Elumelu

“Gen Zs disrespect elders because they have seen their nakedness” — Canada-based doctor, Zo, reacts to trending video involving lady and Tony Elumelu

August 22, 2026
Oyebamiji visits Tinubu after losing Osun Guber Election (Photos)

Oyebamiji visits Tinubu after losing Osun Guber Election (Photos)

August 21, 2026

At one of the locations, officials drew Wike’s attention to a drainage area where a structure had been constructed on a plot revoked by the FCT Administration in 2011.

The minister’s Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, disclosed the development in a post on X accompanied by video footage of the inspection.

Olayinka said the area had originally been allocated but was subsequently revoked because of overriding public interest.

“The spot here is a drainage area. It was allocated but revoked in 2011. Structure was built on it,” he said.

A sign displayed at the location warned against development on the site and identified it as Plot 4508 A06. It stated that the plot had been revoked on December 22, 2011, on the grounds of overriding public interest.

The discovery comes days after torrential rainfall triggered flooding in several parts of Abuja, including Maitama, prompting renewed concerns about the state of drainage infrastructure and compliance with the FCT’s physical planning regulations.

The flooding has also generated controversy, with some residents and commentators attributing the situation to blocked waterways, unregulated construction and inadequate drainage facilities.

The FCT Administration, however, has maintained that flooding is not a new phenomenon in Abuja and cannot be solely attributed to the current administration.

Olayinka had, in a statement on Monday, cited previous incidents of flooding in parts of the capital, including Wuse, Jabi and Lokogoma in 2019, as well as Lokogoma, Efab Estate and Gudu in 2022.

He said the rapid expansion of Abuja had placed pressure on existing infrastructure, particularly drainage and waste management systems.

According to him, the FCT Administration is also dealing with the consequences of poor compliance with planning regulations and the removal of drainage covers by scavengers, which allows refuse to enter and obstruct waterways.

Olayinka said the administration was taking measures to address the problem, including a review of the 1979 Abuja Master Plan to bring it in line with the capital’s current population and physical development.

He added that new drainage covers were being installed with designs intended to make them more difficult to remove.

The inspection by Wike is expected to intensify attention on developments around designated waterways and drainage corridors, particularly where construction may have compromised the city’s ability to effectively channel stormwater.

Next Post
Flooding: Wike begins demolition in Maitama [VIDEO]

Flooding: Wike begins demolition in Maitama [VIDEO]

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

STANBIC IBTC ADVERT

About Us

Themomentng.com is an online community of reporters and social advocates dedicated to bringing you features, news reports by Africans, but from a global perspective.

Contact Us

+447771081433
+2348051966180(WhatsApp/SMS Only)
Email: themomentng@gmail.com

Categories

  • Business
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Featured
  • Food
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Metro
  • Motoring
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Society
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Top Story

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Copyright © Themomentng.com. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Life and Styles
  • Sport