Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has disclosed that he was evacuated from Guinea-Bissau on an Ivorian aircraft after a military coup in the West African country.
Jonathan, who was leading the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission in Guinea-Bissau, said both President Bola Tinubu and Ivorian President Alassane Ouattara had sent aircraft to evacuate him and his delegation.
The former president spoke in an interview with Symfoni posted on YouTube on Friday, November 28, 2025.
According to Jonathan, the Ivorian aircraft was able to secure a landing permit before the Nigerian jet due to longstanding ties between Francophone and Lusophone nations in the region.
“Both presidents were to send aircraft to lift us, but somehow, Cote d’Ivoire is closer to Guinea-Bissau, and there’s always some relationship between Francophone countries and Lusophones,” Jonathan explained.
The Ivorian aircraft was already airborne when Jonathan was notified that the Nigerian jet had been cleared to depart, prompting him to ask the Nigerian team not to bother.
Jonathan expressed gratitude to Nigerians, President Tinubu, and President Ouattara for their concern and support during the incident.
“I sincerely appreciate Nigerians, and I want them to hear directly from my mouth to appreciate their concern,” he said.
Jonathan also described the events in Guinea-Bissau as “disturbing” and a “setback for democratic stability” in the country.












